If you wish to make Shigar Fort Residence your base, choose from a selection of fantastic day trips enabling you to explore the local area and beyond.
- Deosai Plains: Take one of our gourmet picnics and explore the world’s 2nd highest plateau (4,100m). The Deosai Plains is a unique eco-system covering an area of over 400 square km and featuring over 100 species of mountain flora. It is home to wildlife such as the Snow Leopard, Himalayan Brown Bear, Golden Marmot, Tibetan Wolf, Tibetan Red Fox, Himalayan Ibex, and Ladakh Urial. En route enjoy magnificent views of Satpara Lake. This is a 6 hour return drive or for those wanting to stay longer inquire about extending your trip and camping over night.
- Khaplu & Thalley Valley: Although we recommend you stay at least 1 to 2 nights in Khaplu, as there is so much to see and do, for those of you short of time you can make this journey in one day.
Your trip will start early morning and include:
- A stop at the junction of two powerful rivers – where the Indus River meets the Shyok River
- Bara wool spinning & weaving centre that trains & supports local women
- Lunch at the beautifully restored Khaplu Palace Residence
- Guided historical tour of Khaplu Palace
- Visit to the UNESCO award winning 300 year old mausoleum of the saint “Astana Mir Muhammad” & to the Khaplu Khanqar.
- Drive up the Thalley Valley – possibly one of the most spectacular & interesting valleys in Pakistan filled with terraced agricultural fields, local men & women attending to their wheat & potato crops, high altitude yaks & mules and towering jagged mountain peaks.
- Historical Skardu: Your trip will start early morning and include:
– A 7th century Buddhist rock carving
– Satpara Lake with an option to take a boat ride (extra cost).
– BEDAR project centre & support the local community – an initiative to revive old crafts such as wood carving, wool weaving and apricot oil products.
Climbing the 16th Century Skardu Fort or otherwise known as Kharpocho Fort and enjoy incredible views down the valley.
– From the Fort carry on down the valley and the first organic village of Pakistan. Play a role in keeping alive traditional farming practices. (An optional 2 hour return hike)
– Picnic lunch at the village
– Spending some time exploring the bustling Skardu bazaar
– Visit the Italian K2 Museum in Skardu before returning to Shigar
- Hiking: For those who wish to spend the day walking we can recommend a number of wonderful hikes starting from Shigar Fort Residence.
- Other places to visit are :
– Upper Kachura Lake
– Shangri-La Resort