If you wish to make Serena Khaplu Palace your base, choose from a selection of fantastic day trips enabling you to explore the local area and beyond.
- Macholo Valley: Just an hour’s drive from Khaplu and en route to Hushe Valley, the picturesque Macholo Valley features spell bounding landscape with vernacular architecture – a photographers dream. In spring the apricot blossoms are in full bloom adding to its exceptional beauty and attracting many international travellers.
- Hushe Valley: Hushe valley is featured in Greg Morteson’s international best-selling book Three Cups of Tea and is a 3 hours drive from Khaplu. Locals believe that the Hushe Valley was the ancient route to Yarkand an important stop on the Silk Road. Hushe is also a mountaineer’s paradise from where it only 3 days hiking to reach K2 base camp. It is also home to the best views of the majestic Mashebrum Peak towering 7,821 meters.
- Thalley Valley: Possibly one of the most spectacular & interesting valleys in Pakistan filled with terraced agricultural fields, local men & women attending to their wheat & potato crops, high altitude yaks & mules and towering jagged mountain peaks.
– Walk around Thalley village exploring the summer camps of this agricultural community
– For the more energetic a short trek up to the Thalley La (pass)
- Hiking: For those who wish to spend the day hiking there are many wonderful walks ranging from 3 to 8 hours. We will recommend a hike that suits your level of fitness and can provide guides and gourmet picnics
- Horse Riding: For horse riding enthusiasts consider an all day horse riding trip on the local polo ponies. We can arrange this with one days notice.
- Other places to visit are :
– Chorbat Valley – Approximately 4 hours drive from Khaplu, this remote valley is the last valley in Baltistan bordering India and China and is home to the famous Siachen Glacier.