The restoration of Baltit Fort was not only one of the most challenging projects but also the first of its kind in Northern Pakistan. The project has demonstrated that historic structures can be saved, restored and recycled for continued use & for the benefit of the community using local knowledge and state of the art restoration techniques.
The restoration of Baltit Fort has:
– fostered the revival of traditional building trades within the local community
– reinvigorated the local community’s pride in their heritage
– improved the livelihood opportunities of the community through tourism, handicraft projects and the revival of trades.
Awards won include:
- 2005 Time Magazine Asia, Best of Asia Award
- 2004 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Cultural Conservation – Award of Excellence
- 2000 Tourism for Tomorrow Awards: Global Winner